Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Ryanair experience!

So I have let myself cool off a lot before writing this because I was so so mad at myself! I arrived at the Dublin airport nice and early, bought a magazine and a coffee and was at my gate like 45 minutes early. As Ryanair don't allocate seats there was a line-up already but I wasn't too worried because it was not like I needed to sit next to anyone so I was one of the last few in the line.

When got to the guy at the front, he told me that I needed to get my ticket stamped at the check-in desk! I remembered only then that my mum & dad had the same problem when they travelled from Ireland about a year ago and it does actually say it on my ticket. In hindsight, I should have just argued with him because he knew there was no way I was going to make it back and I had a long term visa for France.

But anyway I sprinted back to the check-in area, had to sweet talk a guard to let me out by the security gates otherwise I would of had to go through customs. I pushed in front of everyone at the Ryanair counter, much to their disgust and then had to go back through security. I had no probelms the first time I went through. However, this time they decided to go through my whole bag because I had bought a bottle opener at the Guinness factory. So then, after they were satisfied I sprinted back to the gate but because I was in such a rush I didn't do up my backpack properly so half way to the gate everything fell out of my bag - if you think running through the airport is embrarassing, this was worse. Some lovely old ladies helped me and then I was off again running to the gate but carrying all my stuff in my hands!

I was so hopeful when I arriverd, there was a guy there who was like "are you Nicola" and for a moment I thought I hadn't missed it... ofcourse I had. I was so tired that I just sat on the floor with everything around me, laughing and crying while everyone walked past me wondering what was wrong with this crazy Australian! The worst part of this is the 'stamp' that I needed was pathetic and unintelligible and the girl at the desk didn't even check my passport. I don't believe I couldn't get my plane because of this!

A very good lesson to learn though, I'm not going on any flights without going to the check-in desk in future.

1 comment:

  1. Another lesson in life..you don't have enough time in your life to learn what everyone else has already learnt...if only you had remembered the lesson(experience) your parents had !
    It was a very hard, harsh way of learning two lessons of life in one go but you managed and life goes on. Well done for not having a complete breakdown !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete