Monday, July 5, 2010

Le langue francais

Well on Sunday I made the big move to Cachan, just outside Paris in the suburbs. I was pretty disappointed with the room when I arrived but after I unpacked all my stuff it started to look like home and I wish I could stay here the whole year just so that I wouldn’t have to pack up and unpack again. Here are some photos of before & after. I haven’t got photos of the shower, it is pretty disgusting, thank god for Haviannas. There is hot water so it isn’t that bad but just not the same as having your own shower...





Didn’t do much on Sunday apart from try to find a super marche and une cybercafé for the all important emails and blog post!
So Monday hailed and off I went to my French class, managed to catch the right train and arrived 45 minutes early! Found a Russian guy who could talk English and we wondered around for about 20 minutes (it is really pretty is Sceaux) then returned to the campus where I met the rest of my classmates. I am honestly embarrassed that I only know 1 language. Most of my class mates know their language plus English plus a little bit of a third language plus they are learning French! Most in my beginner beginner class are from Russia, there is one Spanish guy, an Italian girl, a girl from Finland and an American guy, also two from Albania. The whole class is in French, no translation whatsoever so you really need to pay attention!
We started with a quick test to see what our level in French was, mine was very quick as you can imagine. Basically only covered the what is your name and how old you are before I flunked out! Hehe! We then had a 2 hour break to go to the Cite Universitaire for lunch, only 2.90 euro, for 3 courses, the cheese was delicious. After lunch we were very late back to class but it didn’t seem to matter too much as we were with teachers.
I think I learnt more French in 2 hours this afternoon than 2 weeks at Alliance Francais in Toowoomba! I even found myself helping the American guy buy his metro pass in French – very proud! I was one of the few who knew where the supre marche and cybercafé was so showed everyone there –once again very proud! We each bought a bottle of 1euro wine which we proceeded to drink with cheese and salami on the picnic benches outside our residence. The Russians had bought their Vodka with them so we had to have some that, best French picnic ever! (which could have been due to the alcohol!). A few photos...





We have tomorrow afternoon off so will definitely be heading into Paris to see the sights with my fellow classmates! Will post soon xoxo.

2 comments:

  1. Nikki you do know another language Shona ! That will impress everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because Shona is such a useful language!

    ReplyDelete