Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Boring Brussels

So after having a few weekends at home I was in desperate need of a weekend away so decided on Brussels since the bus was cheap - it wasn't too far away and I could tick another country off! It turned out to be a freezing cold weekend so not the best for sightseeing of which there is not a lot to do in Brussels! Also turns out Belgium is not very different to France (well Brussels anyway!), same language, similar style of building, I'm still going to count it as a different country though! I did try all the gorgeous Belgium food they have including mussels which were delicious.
The best thing all weekend was the waffles - they were amazign and you could get anything you wanted as a topping - I tried the banana, cream and choc and also the kiwi fruit one which was slightly odd but still yummy! The window displays were gorgeous you couldn't not be hungy for a waffle! That's a chocolate staue of Mannekin Pis in the window...
So the first day, I went to find my hotel room - scored an absolute bargain. It was like a little apartment - so nice to have a bathtub and to walk around with no shoes on! Little things like this impress me so much these days! I sought out the only landmark that I knew was associated with Brussels - Mannekin Pis. Its a statue of a boy pissing - Charming!)
The architecture of the old town in Brussels is very pretty - the Grand Place is gorgeous and would be really ncie in summer when they put a carpet of flowers down. I managed to get some shopping in with the winter sales still being on. Then, being as exciting as I am I decided to have an early night in with my bathtub and TV, got a take away dinner and went home! Thankgod there wasn't a lot to see otherwise I would have felt a bit guilty!
So the next day I decided to walk into the city via some of the monuments that were on the map. It was freezing cold - it wasn't snow on the ground but like icy dew, like the water in the air had just frozen and fallen to the ground.
I walked past this clock at about 11.55am and thought awesome timing -I'm going to see the clock go off (there millions of bells and little figurines that looked like they were going to move). There were other people waiting obvioulsy thinking the same as me. The clock struck 12 with abosultely nothing...I was so disappointed!
I did the chocolate museum which was alright - I saw more about chocolate at the Salon du Chocolat but it had some good displays and a demonstration. I also walked past a few of the UN or EU buildings, the Palace - I think this one was the EU parliament building, there were guards walking around the building making sure people didnt loiter.
Since it was so cold I decided to head to the Atomium which was built for the world expo in the 1980's I think. It wasn't the most exciting thing but the view from the top ball was really nice and inside was warm!
Then it was time to leave Brussels, it was a nice quiet weekend and I'm glad I had a weekend away but not the most exciting of places to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment