Friday, March 25, 2011

Appendicitis in Paris

So after we returned from our fancy pants dinner, Matt started to complain about having a sore stomach. Then a few hours later he had the most expensive vomit ever! After a restless night where neither he or I got any sleep and after spending Saturday morning at home with Matt at his best whingy self I finally cracked and decided to take him to hospital. At this stage I was thinking they will tell him to take a pain killer and get over it! Of course, Matt had googled stomach-ache and had self-diagnosed himself with appendicitis. Luckily there was a hospital just down the road from where we were staying (I made him walk there!), turned out the hospital was one of the leaders in digestive surgery. After registering at the desk, where the nurses had a giggle at him having a surname like French and not being able to speak a word, we proceeded to wait about 2hours to get into see a doctor.

Then they did a blood test, then we waited another 3 hours for the results which weren't conclusive so then he went for an ultrasound where they saw his appendix was swollen. Felt a bit guilty for being mean to Matt and calling him a sook when he was actually in pain! My bad! They then admitted him and took him to the wards (about 2am at this stage). I got to sleep in a chair overnight - fun! They got him up at about 6am to have a shower (turned out to be a hosepipe in a room with tiles!) and where told he would have his op that morning.

They kicked me out of the ward at about 10am as it wasn't visiting hours under the impression that he was going in before lunch and to come back at 3pm to see him afterwards. Came back and he still hadn't gone into surgery. Was going to start throwing my toys out the cot when they came to get him (almost 24hrs after we arrived at hospital). He was out of the op by 8pm. I thought I had at least the morning to organise ourselves as we had to find another apartment to stay in and had to change Matt's flights and stuff but they rung me at about 10am to go and pick him up!

After about 2 days in bed, loving having me at his beck and call Matt was up and about as if nothing happened! And we got to spend an extra week together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment